Sunday, September 12, 2010

Rupa in Red

September 10, 2010
Laughter transcends all cultural boundaries- even if you don’t know what you’re laughing about. I’ve found that laughing with my family has been our greatest bonding moments, whether it’s at my constant mispronunciations in Nepali, something funny that happened, or laughing because that seems to be what everyone else is doing and I have no idea what’s going on. Regardless, the laughter has broken down the cultural and language barriers with my family making my Nepali home feel more like a real home.

Tonight I fulfilled my little fantasy of escaping Kathmandu and eating at a pizza place, though not pizza hut, thank god. I would have felt really guilty for eating at an Italian restaurant in the tourist capital of Kathmandu had I only be visiting for a short while—however since I kind of live here and will be doing so for the next 3 and a half months, I think it’s excusable to occasionally indulge in American culture and food while being in Kathmandu. With that said, I’m still struggling to find balance here—balancing my own wellbeing amidst the chaos while also focusing on the purpose of my studies, which is ultimately to do some good here. Kathmandu is a beast I’m constantly battling. It is easy to get caught up in the frustration and discomfort of living in such a horrendously managed city. I've never seen so much suffering before. But remaining in a state of shock, I’ve realized, is a waste of my time and will get me nowhere I want to go. Although it’s easier said than done, I’m trying to embrace everything that comes my way whether that means getting hit by a bike on my way home, seeing burning trash everyday after school, or watching a goat get slaughtered on a playground on the side of the road.

September 12, 2010

Rupa and Ratna, ready for Teej.

Yesterday I went teejing again with my aamaa and Ratna and family As soon as we stepped outside we were lost in a sea of red and pink saris. Many of the streets were shut down because there were so many people roaming about. We happened upon a huge gathering of dancing women and Ratna and I immediately knew what we were in for. Our aamaas, thrilled at the idea of making us local celebrities, shoved us in front of a TV camera man and started screaming at us to start dancing. Ratna’s family watched out for us on TV today but we didn’t quite make the cut. Our nepali dancing skills could probably use some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment